[Intel-gfx] Valid DP connection without EDID?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 18:24:36 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 11:32 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:11:34 +1000,
> Dave Airlie wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

So dpcd[0x5] is 0x03, and drm_dp_helper.h says:

#define DP_DOWNSTREAMPORT_PRESENT           0x005
# define DP_DWN_STRM_PORT_PRESENT           (1 << 0)
# define DP_DWN_STRM_PORT_TYPE_MASK         0x06
/* 00b = DisplayPort */
/* 01b = Analog */
/* 10b = TMDS or HDMI */
/* 11b = Other */
# define DP_FORMAT_CONVERSION               (1 << 3)

So there we go, it's a branch device with VGA downstream of it.  We need
to figure out the connectivity of the downstream port.

> > > Checking DPCD bits might work, but I have no exact spec of DPCD, so no
> > > idea whether the above is really wrong or not.
> >
> > Is there a VGA port on the docking station, it might have a DP->VGA in
> > it, or dual-link DVI port.
>
> Ah, right, that's the missing piece!
>
> It's a DP->VGA conversion indeed.  Plugging to a VGA connector appears
> as DP2.  Oh well, I didn't think of this possibility at all.
>
> But then this makes me wonder how to solve the problem at best.
> It's obviously a bogus connection status returned from the driver.
> DP2 advertises itself as if connected.

I wouldn't quite say it's bogus, more that we're describing the
connection status of "the nearest DP device" as if it were the
connection status of the whole wire.

I started a patch series for this a bit ago, I'll send it on
momentarily.

- ajax