[Intel-gfx] DP1 Monitor Flashes

Raul Dias raul at dias.com.br
Wed Dec 11 17:55:04 CET 2013

I will put into a few scenarios:

1 - LVDS1 + DP1

Dell U2713HM using a Display Port cable (display) to a Mini Display Port
(Notebook).
No adapters.

This is where the logs belongs to.

Some random  time after boot (15min, 1hour), the DP1 screen will blank for
a period between 2s to 5s and come back again.
This will keep repeating for 5 to 15 min endless.

2 - LVDS1 + HDMI1

In this case, the U2713M display is using the HDMI port and a HDMI do mini
Display Port adapter.

I can get the 2560x1440 resolution only if I lower the frequence to 41hz or
lower (which I believe is a HDMI limitation).

No problem at all.

3 - LVDS1 + DP1 + VIRTUAL2

Same as (1) with and extra screen on bumblebee: intel-virtual-output -b

This time the U2713M display enters in sleep mode instead of blanking and
does not come back (by itself).
I believe this is the same trigger from (1), but for some reason it is not
just blanking.

To revert this, I have to use xrandr to turn the display off and on
(--auto).

4 - LVDS1 + HDMI1 + VIRTUAL2

Same as (2) with bumblebee.
No problem at all too.

I am not sure if this could be a faulty display or cable if not the driver.
(or how to detect it).

Thanks again.
-rsd