[Intel-gfx] VT switchless v3

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Feb 19 19:13:42 CET 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:03:20 +0100
Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:23:08PM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > A few more fixes from Daniel.
>
> So one thing that crossed my mind which we should at least quickly
> discuss: How is userspace supposed to notice the resume? On a lot of
> desktops (and even Androids) the normal thing seems to be to draw the
> screensave/lock after resume, which means that we'll show the desktop for
> a frame or so. Which is not too nice. Is userspace simply supposed to draw
> the screen lock before sleep, or does it need a helping hand from the
> kernel to fix this issue?

Userspace initiates the suspend, so GNOME or whatever is supposed to
lock things at that point.  I've heard talk of a uevent or dbus thing
to broadcast it as well, but I'm not sure of the status of that.

IIRC Android already has a hack like this; they don't want the fbcon to
ever be visible during usage...