[Intel-gfx] Playing with the idea of pulling kernel code into i-g-t

Damien Lespiau damien.lespiau at intel.com
Wed Jun 5 12:59:37 CEST 2013

I played a bit with this as that's something thas has been floating around for
a bit and could be used for:
  - unit testing kernel functions (eg. PLL computations)
  - reuse off some code (intel_reg.h, sideband, device_info struct, ...)
  - Ville wanted to fuzzy test the EDID code (and has a branch somewhere IIRC)
  - ...

To make it maintainable we could have a script that, when pointed to a kernel,
pulls in the needed pieces. A simple form of this is scripts/sync-from-kernel
in the following patch.

$ ./scripts/sync-from-kernel ../linux-2.6/
Using v3.9-rc1-15371-g393f670
Importing intel_sideband.c

You then need a shim layer that replicates what we use from the kernel. A lot
can probably be faked without too much trouble.

A good use case for that would be to be able to have one master copy of
i915_reg.h (the kernel's) and sync it into i-g-t.

In any case, the following patch pulls in intel_sideband.c and replaces what we
currenlty have. It's aboslutely not tested and might just end up being a
pointless exercise...

--
Damien