[Intel-gfx] Broadcast RGB questions

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jun 24 21:23:13 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't suppose there is a way to set the default value for
> this property with a kernel boot option is there? I keep
> thinking my monitor is broken or my eyes have gone bad
> while watching the boot messages scroll past :-).
> (Anyone feel like adding such a kernel option?)

We're toying around with ideas to load a full config (including any
options) through a device-tree firmware blob. Adding tons more module
options seems to have stopped scaling a while back. This would also
allow us to quirk anything with can be quirked with xrandr.

> If I can't get it set that early, does anyone have a
> working example of the sort of xorg.conf fragment
> I can stick in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to set it
> as soon as X comes up on my system? (The docs
> for xorg.conf seem to have been designed to
> cause brains to explode when trying to understand
> them).
>
> I am able to set it with xrandr but it makes my
> monitor flicker when it changes (I thought avoiding
> that sort of thing was why kernel mode setting
> was invented :-).

We need to do a full modeset when updating that attribute, so the
flickering is expected. Fundamentally kms is about not blowing up
since userspace really has no business touching the hw (especially in
corporation with the kernel for dri1), less flickering is just the
icing on the cake of a much more mature kms driver than userspace
modesetting ever was.
-Daniel