[Intel-gfx] fbcon issues oh hd4000

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Fri May 10 13:31:34 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Fabio Coatti <fabio.coatti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> I'm contacting you as you are listed as i915 maintainer for linux
> kernel and I'm not sure if it is ok to write in mailing lists for this
> small issue.

_Always_ cc a mailing list, since your maintainer tends to be busy.
_Especially_ for small stuff.

> I'm having an issue that should be easy to fix, but it turned out to be not :)
>
> Basically, the issue is the "classical" blank console during boot (it
> becomes blank after some messages, when i915 driver kicks in, I guess)
> and the screen is resumed when X starts.
> (happens with 3.9.1 but also with 3.8.X).
> The machine is a i7 3770 / Q77 chipset (HD4000 afaik)
> As I said it should be easy to fix, according to all similar solved
> issues tha I got googling, but I tried all combinations of kernel
> boot parameters that I can think of (i915.modeset=1, video=HDMI-2:D,
> fbcon=map:X, and so on); I used i915 as module and compiled in, with
> initrd, but no joy so far.
> Weird thing, on a different hardware but same family (i5,HD3000) all
> works just fine with same kernel options and this command line:

That's not the same family, but a different product generation ;-)

> console=tty1  fbcon=map:0 i915.modeset=1
>
> Of course I'm not asking you to help debugging my installation, But
> can you point me to some link, hint or whatever useful in order to
> look better at this issue?

Sounds like the fbcon mode selection gets something wrong which X gets
right. Please retest on the latest upstream kernel and if that still
fails please boot with drm.debug=0xe (and no other parameter added)
and file a bug report  on bugs.freedesktop.org against dri -> drm
(intel) with the complete dmesg attached.

Thanks, Daniel

> Many thanks for any suggestion.
>

> --
> Fabio