[Intel-gfx] pipe_off wait timed out

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed May 22 13:48:30 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 01:10:36AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
>  > > This is new to me as of 3.10-rc2.
>  >
>  > If this is an ironlake with a DP output it's a know issue which seems
>  > to pop up every once in a while.
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Hm, a pineview, so definitely now DP. I think this one is indeed new.

>  > Otherwise we need to take a look
>  > here. If so can you please boot with drm.debug=0xe, reproduce the
>  > issue and attach the complete dmesg?
>  >
>  > Also does 3.10-rc1 work (since you mention -rc2 specifically and there
>  > wasn't really a lot going into that for drm/i915).
>
> It had been running rc1 for the last week or so without incident.
> Though I've been away, with the monitor turned off.
>
> Judging by the trace, this seems to be related to console blanking ?
> (this is my home firewall, so spends most of its time with the screen
>  turned off)

Yeah, the console blanking results in a kms call to disable the output
pipe, but for some odd reason the hw doesn't really switch off
correctly. Or our check is a bit wonky. Exercising console blanking a
bit should be interesting to see whether it's racy or predictable.

> I've added that debug option to my command line, I'll keep an eye on it
> and try to reproduce over the next few days.

Thanks, Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch