[Intel-gfx] More questions and patches for 835GM/ns2501 DVO

Thomas Richter thor at math.tu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 4 12:57:20 CET 2013

Hi Daniel,
>> I also tried a lot with the two-monitor case and again went deeply into the
>> DPLL setup logic.
>> The differences I observed before are simply due to the initial resolution
>> (800x600), in the final
>> resolution, the DPLL settings are actually correct. What I get there is:
> I suspect that due to the pipe A quirk logic we actually get the setup
> sequence for the DPLLs completely wrong. This will require a bit more
> magic to make it work correctly ... But I have some ideas.
> -Daniel
Well,  maybe. The register contents that are listed in my mail are read
out from the hardware exactly when the
DVO gets stuck, actually right before it. From what I can see from there
is that the PLL setup and DVO setup
look actually ok (from what I can tell). What is also remarkable is that
the DVO-reenable logic does succeed by
writing the same value to the DPLL_A and DPLL_B registers, which is the
proper value for a 1024x768 screen. However,
the DPLL_B register value is correct, whereas the DPLL_A register
contains values that are likely useful for the VGA
output.

Now, here is the miracle: The DVOC register indicates that the DVO gets
its input from pipe B. However, writing the
correct value into DPLL_A (!) (remember, DPLL_B is already set
correctly) revives the DVO.

Thus, I wonder how this can be. The only explanation I have is that the
DVO is still fed by pipe A, and not by pipe B.
Maybe there is something else that needs to be done to switch the DVO to
pipe B.

Anyhow, happy to take your ideas. Unfortunately, I will again not have
this specific laptop available for some while. I do have an R31 for
testing, though its display is connected via LVDS and not via a DVO. The
chipset seems to be similar otherwise, though.

Greetings,
     Thomas