[Intel-gfx] Patch for crashing intel server

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Tue Oct 15 03:46:08 CEST 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 10:43:49AM +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Ok, I can see the allocation failure that leads to the crash:
>
> commit f9a18c9f38d09c145eb513ca989966dc135c1e9b
> Author: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
> Date:   Sun Oct 13 10:36:35 2013 +0100

This does indeed stop the server from crashing, but actually makes the
problem worse: it used to play video for a few minutes and then crash
when trying.  With my patch it would play video for a few minutes and
then present black screens when trying.  With your patch, it presents
black screens from the start.

I must say I'm not entirely sure if the backtrace I sent you is a
"typical" case; I managed to crash it sooner than usual, so perhaps it
wasn't the bug that I triggered before.  It did stop the crashing
however.

> However, that still leaveas the question as to how you ended up being
> unable to allocate bo...
>
> You can watch /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_gem_objects (or just use
> intel-gpu-overlay) and see if there is an object leak.

I don't have enough knowledge about the internals to know how that
works.  I can see the file if I mount the debugfs, but what am I looking
for?

I don't seem to have intel-gpu-overlay on my system; does it make sense
to install it?  If so, where do I get it?

While looking for it I did find and try intel-gpu-time, and noticed that
it always reports the gpu 100% busy, even when running intel-gpu-time
sleep 5 from a linux virtual terminal (so not even X is displayed).  Is
that normal?

Thanks,
Bas