[Intel-gfx] More on the i835GM problems on Fujitsu/Siemens

Thomas Richter thor at math.tu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 15 23:11:37 CEST 2013

Hi Daniel, hi folks,

a bit more details on the intel-drm problem on the ancient 835GM based
laptop. It seems that the problem of a blank
screen can be avoided by modifying the xorg.conf a bit. Currently, my
xorg.conf contains a screen section as follows:

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth 24
         SubSection "Display"
                    Depth 24
                    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

If this is replaced by

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
EndSection

then I do get a picture again when logging in. So it looks as if
something is messed up when detecting the supported
modes for the chipset. Maybe this helps in hunting down the problem.

Sorry that I cannot bisect the problem further, I won't have this
machine available for the next two weeks.

Greetings,
     Thomas