[Intel-gfx] Target Display Mode for Linux

Chris Rydalch crydalch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 09:42:05 CEST 2013

Hello,

I've been directed here from the Fedora developers list, looking for some answers regarding computers with bi-directional DisplayPorts/Thunderbolt ports.

The iMac and HP Z1 have one, which lets them be used as a Display for another computer, while that computer is still running. Apple calls it Target Display Mode, though HP doesn't seem to have a special name for it. The toggle is invoked by a fairly non-standard keyboard combination. Here is a video illustrating what I mean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y7_OZgBX8kQ#t=60), note how he switches the iMac from being the display for the MacBook to being an iMac again via keyboard shortcut (sort of off-screen). The capability, though, is done in OS X, and for the Z1, a little Windows-only program.

Is there some way to get this type of support in Linux? How low level, or high level, would this type of effort be? I'm only really familiar with writing small-medium tools using Python, but I'm very interested in seeing this happen, and would like to learn more about what is, or might be, involved.

Thanks,

Chris