[Intel-gfx] drm/i915 X crashes on 835GM (IBM R31)

Thomas Richter thor at math.tu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 22 15:24:18 CEST 2013

Am 22.10.2013 14:03, schrieb Chris Wilson:
> Ah, /var/log/Xorg.0.log has greater verbosity than stdout/stderr. I am
> just curious where we reject the -intel driver and hence fail to init
> the screen.

/var/logXorg.0.log is zero bytes long at this point. I wouldn't call
this "greater". (-;
Let it be as it is, I wouldn't consider this an acceptable reaction.
>> later when X is running, I do get a working X, but no picture on the
>> external monitor. The xrandr output is also attached.
> > From the xrandr, I can see the problem. LVDS1 can be on either CRTC, but
> VGA can only be on CRTC-0. At initialisation, LVDS1 is on CRTC-0 and so
> prevents the VGA from finding a CRTC.
>
> If you do:
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
> xrandr --output VGA1 --preferred
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --preferred
>
> it should work, or more compactly:
>
> xrandr \
>    --output VGA1 --preferred --crtc 0 \
>    --output LVDS1 --preferred --crtc 1 --primary --left-of VGA1
>
> (adjust primary and position to taste)

Sorry, not really. After a "xrandr --output LVDS1 --panning 2048x1536"
on the internal screen, I did a

$ xrandr --output LVDS1 --off && xrandr --output VGA1 --preferred &&
xrandr --output LVDS1 --preferred

and the result was only:

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
   Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  29 (RRSetPanning)
   Serial number of failed request:  26

So apparently, xrandr had problems carrying the panning parameters over.
Then, following that, I did a

$ xrandr --output LVDS1 --preferred
$ xrandr --output VGA1 --preferred

The result is a working LVDS display, but a nonworking external display
(non-stable, as if the sync is incorrect, but a signal). I'm attaching
the output of xrandr --verbose in this specific state.

Then I did a

$ xrandr --output VGA1 --off
$ xrandr --output VGA1 --auto

and then I got a stable and working external display.

Anyhow, something's screwed in the display setup. a) xrandr should carry
over the panning parameters just correctly instead of failing and, b)
it should better get the sync timing right the first time, and not the
second. (Or actually third).

The "flicker on panning" remains here, but only on the external but not
on the internal.

> Flickering is another problem altogether (who votes for DSPARB?).
> -Chris

Likely so... But there is at least still a problem with getting the
timing right on the external display.

So long,
     Thomas