[Intel-gfx] drm/i915: split PCI IDs out into i915_drm.h v4

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 17:30:29 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 04:28:39PM +0200, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > [ include/drm/i915_pciids.h ]
>> > +#define INTEL_SNB_M_IDS(info) \
>> > + INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x0106, info), \
>> > + INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x0116, info), \ <--- I have this one! "GT2 mobile"?
>> > + INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x0126, info)
>> > +
>> > +#define INTEL_IVB_M_IDS(info) \
>> > + INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x0156, info), /* GT1 mobile */ \
>> > + INTEL_VGA_DEVICE(0x0166, info) /* GT2 mobile */
>> >
>> > I remember to have seen GT2 for my Sandybridge system (Samsung
>> > series-5 ultrabook) in the logs.
>>
>> $ grep -i sandy /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> [    18.160] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with Sandybridge (gen6, gt2) backend
>>
>> BTW, is there somewhere on the Wild Wild Internet a doc/wiki where I
>> can have a "human-readable" list of Intel GPU hardware (there exist
>> GenX and GTY)?
>> The X RadeonFeature wiki has a section "Decoder ring for engineering
>> vs marketing names" in [1].
>>
>> As a last thing, I noticed that brand-names like "SandyBridge" are
>> written differently in the Linux graphics stack (kernel-drm, libdrm,
>> mesa3d and intel-ddx). I can't say what is the "official" brand-name.
>> ( The reason why I ask is for example searching for patterns in the sources. )
>>
>> $ dmesg | grep -i sandy
>> [    0.081443] Performance Events: PEBS fmt1+, 16-deep LBR,
>> SandyBridge events, full-width counters, Intel PMU driver.
>>
>> $ grep -i sandy /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> [    18.160] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with Sandybridge (gen6, gt2) backend
>
> We have to be careful as Sandybridge isn't a brand or product name but a
> code name, and Intel marketing gets upset if we put the codenames into
> user visible strings. (I can understand their need for control over
> product image and branding, but the codenames are much easier to
> understand!) The popular form for the *bridge, *well, *trail, *view is
> as one word with a single leading capital letter. The codenames are,
> I believe, or at least once were, the names of geographic features
> around the Intel campuses. And different types of features (rivers,
> hills, etc) were used to denote different types/combinations of chips.
>
> Wikipedia is the best source for such information as product to code
> name to features. Though ark.intel.com has all the information if you
> have a glossary (wikipedia) to hand, and have product names to search.

No success with searching 1st for "sandybridge" (one word) :-(, so
official docs have a "space" ("Sandy Bridge")

[1] says:
"Sandy Bridge is the codename for both the Intel microarchitecture
innovation following Nehalem and generally for the associated family
of 32nm processors based upon that microarchitecture."

For the GPU there is "Processor Graphics".
So mine seems to be called "IntelĀ® HD Graphics 3000".
Hmm, I remember darkly intel-ddx uses the latter.
Anyway, somehow all that stuff is still confusing me.

- Sedat -

[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/29900/Sandy-Bridge?q=Sandy