[Intel-gfx] [Bug] Wrong screen resolution

Knut Petersen Knut_Petersen at t-online.de
Fri Apr 11 13:46:40 CEST 2014

============

Whenever I restart the X server there is a small (20%?) chance that the
KDE splash picture is not displayed as expected (1280x1024).
Instead I see a smaller version of that picture (1024x768?) in the
upper left corner of the monitor, but the correct 1280x1024 video
mode is used by xorg. Absolutely _nothing_ unusual in system/xorg
logs.

After that, everything works fine, with one exception:
mplayer fullscreen mode is broken. The video is displayed
correctly, but the area not used by the video itself is only partially set
to black, the upper right and lower right area contain garbage.
If the splash screen is displayed correctly, mplayer full screen
mode works correctly too.

Most of the time another restart of X corrects the problem.

Any idea how to debug that situation?

Hardware:
AOpen i915GMm-hfs, Pentium-M Dothan, Eizo L557 monitor (1280x1024)

Software:
openSuSE, KDE, all recent versions of linux kernel and xorg,
last good unknown.

cu,
  Knut