[Intel-gfx] [Bug] Wrong screen resolution

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 09:02:18 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 12:21:47AM +0200, Knut Petersen wrote:
> On 11.04.2014 13:51, Chris Wilson wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 01:46:40PM +0200, Knut Petersen wrote:
> >>============
> >>
> >>Whenever I restart the X server there is a small (20%?) chance that the
> >>KDE splash picture is not displayed as expected (1280x1024).
> >>Instead I see a smaller version of that picture (1024x768?) in the
> >>upper left corner of the monitor, but the correct 1280x1024 video
> >>mode is used by xorg. Absolutely _nothing_ unusual in system/xorg
> >>logs.
> >>
> >>After that, everything works fine, with one exception:
> >>mplayer fullscreen mode is broken. The video is displayed
> >>correctly, but the area not used by the video itself is only partially set
> >>to black, the upper right and lower right area contain garbage.
> >>If the splash screen is displayed correctly, mplayer full screen
> >>mode works correctly too.
> >>
> >>Most of the time another restart of X corrects the problem.
> >>
> >>Any idea how to debug that situation?
> >What exactly does Xorg.0.log and xrandr say?
>
> kernel: 3.14, xorg: full build from git repositories, about 8 hours old
>
> attached Xorg.0.log.old: xserver started with incorrect kde splash screen
>
> attached Xorg.0.log: xserver started with correct kde splash screen

Ok, this indicates that the output is not detected sometimes during
boot. As such, a dummy 1024x768 fb is created. During KDE initialisation
it does a probe of outputs and changes the screen size to 1280x1024, but
it does not adjust its splash screen. The fbcon is also still restricted
to using 1024x768.

So you have two bugs. The first is the tempermental DVI detection, which
may be hardware or the kernel. The second is called KDE.