[Intel-gfx] Eyestrain problems with new Intel drivers

Alejandro Díaz-Caro alejandro at diaz-caro.info
Thu Apr 17 18:22:08 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 01, 2014 Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-03-31 10:05 (GMT+0200) Janus composed:
>> I have the same problem as the one described by Michael bellow: the
>> Intel Graphic card produces eye strain and headache after some minutes
>> of using it. I found a lot of people complaining on the same problem,
>> but no solution. I tried lowering the resolution, increasing the PWM
>> frequency, but without luck. I also installed an old version of intel
>> drivers (2.20.12), because the subject of this email was "with **new**
>> Intel drivers", but it didn't help.
>>
>> I have a new HP Folio 9470m, with the Intel HD 4000 graphic card, and
>> I cannot use it. Even when connecting an external monitor, I have the
>> same problem. When I connect my old laptop, with an nvidia card, to
>> the same monitor, the eyestrain disapear, so it must be the Intel
>> card, or its driver.
>>
>> I will be glad to provide any information you consider relevant. I can
>> do whatever test you want, but please, do not ignore this message. I
>> am not the only one to have this problem:
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=Eye+strain+Intel+graphic
>>
>> I am on (Arch) Linux, but I saw some reports on Windows too.
>
> What is output from 'lspci | grep VGA'?

$ lspci -v -s 00:02.0
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor
Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 18df
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at 2000 [size=64]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

> Exactly what model is your external display?

It is an HP. I do not have access to it now (it is in my office, I can give
you the details on Monday).

> Does disabling compositing help?

No, it doesn't.

> Is it better if you boot a Live Linux media from a year or two or
> three ago, e.g. Knoppix 7.0.5 or openSUSE 12.3 or Mageia 2 or Fedora
> 18?

I tested with openSUSE 12.3, but I had the same problem.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any other idea?

--

Alejandro Díaz-Caro
http://diaz-caro.info