[Intel-gfx] Graphics driver Init code

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Sun Aug 24 22:03:37 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Dushyant Behl
> <myselfdushyantbehl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ping.
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Dushyant Behl
>> <myselfdushyantbehl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am an Operating system developer and I'm working on a project for
>>> which I wanted to understand the working of Intel Graphics Driver.
>>> Being somewhat new in this field, Can I ask anyone to point me where
>>> should I start digging in the code? I mean where the graphic driver
>>> initializes contact with the GPU.
>>>
>>> I'm extremely sorry if I broke any mailing list etiquette. Please forgive
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance,
>>> Dushyant Behl
>>

>> I would be really thankful if someone can help me.
>
> All of the code exists in
>
>    drivers/gpu/drm/i915
>
> i915_drv.c contains i915_init, which is the first thing that gets
> called when the module is loaded.
>
> From there, there's another 67k lines of code that should keep you busy. :)

There's also various blog posts from developers for high-level
overview, google should be able to dig most of them up. Or start with
mine ;-)

http://blog.ffwll.ch/search/label/In-Depth%20Tech

We also started to document the code internals a bit in the drm
docbook, but that's still very much work in progress and so really
spotty:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm/

Cheers, Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation