[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE][RFC] KVMGT - the implementation of Intel GVT-g(full GPU virtualization) for KVM

Igor Gnatenko ignatenkobrain at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 4 11:56:33 PST 2014

On Dec 4, 2014 5:27 AM, "Jike Song" <jike.song at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
Hi,

>  We are pleased to announce the first release of KVMGT project. KVMGT is
the implementation of Intel GVT-g technology, a full GPU virtualization
solution. Under Intel GVT-g, a virtual GPU instance is maintained for each
VM, with part of performance critical resources directly assigned. The
capability of running native graphics driver inside a VM, without
hypervisor intervention in performance critical paths, achieves a good
balance of performance, feature, and sharing capability.
Sounds great.

>  KVMGT is still in the early stage:
>
>   - Basic functions of full GPU virtualization works, guest can see a
full-featured vGPU.
>     We ran several 3D workloads such as lightsmark, nexuiz, urbanterror
and warsow.

>   - Only Linux guest supported so far, and PPGTT must be disabled in
guest through a
>     kernel parameter(see README.kvmgt in QEMU).
>
>   - This drop also includes some Xen specific changes, which will be
cleaned up later.

>   - Our end goal is to upstream both XenGT and KVMGT, which shares ~90%
logic for vGPU
>     device model (will be part of i915 driver), with only difference in
hypervisor
>     specific services
>
>   - insufficient test coverage, so please bear with stability issues :)
>

>  There are things need to be improved, esp. the KVM interfacing part:
>
>         1       a domid was added to each KVMGT guest
>
>                 An ID is needed for foreground OS switching, e.g.
>
>                         # echo <domid>  >
 /sys/kernel/vgt/control/foreground_vm

>                 domid 0 is reserved for host OS.
>

>         2       SRCU workarounds.
>
>                 Some KVM functions, such as:
>
>                                 kvm_io_bus_register_dev
>                                 install_new_memslots
>
>                 must be called *without* &kvm->srcu read-locked.
Otherwise it hangs.

https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc14/technical-sessions/presentation/tian

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/KVMGT-a%20Full%20GPU%20Virtualization%20Solution_1.pdf

> Appreciate your comments, BUG reports, and contributions!
I'll prepare fedora builds for testing. Users would do 2 commands to use
KVMGT. Feel free to CC me about changes and for testing. I have some
devices with Intel graphics. I'll test.

--
-Igor Gnatenko