[Intel-gfx] Haswell DisplayPort Multi Stream Transport status

Damien Lespiau damien.lespiau at intel.com
Wed Feb 5 14:47:00 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:53:50PM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the current status for DP MST support on Haswell? Are there
> experimental patches that can be tested? If not, what can be done to
> help progress?

No patches to test yet. I would gate DP MST on the current DP aux
refactoring that Thierry Reding (core) and Jani Nikula (i915) are doing
at the moment.

Once done, you need someone with a DP 1.2 spec to:
  - implement the cross-drivers features (a DP aux bus, handle device
    discovery, ...)
  - implement the i915 bits
  - Figure out how to expose and do a modeset on those devices in the
    current CRTC/encoder/connector model.

> Supposing the kernel parts are figured, will userland need updates
> accordingly, or would the existing multi-head support work as-is?

Yes, userland will most likely need updates.

Not a small task by any definition.

--
Damien