[Intel-gfx] Dell XPS 8700 kms not working

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Jan 8 03:36:20 CET 2014

Hi,
kms does not work om my Dell XPS 8700
I have installed openSUSE 13.1 (kernel 3.11.6) and the only way to
use the system is to pass the kernel option nomodeset.
If I boot the machine without nomodeset after the kernel and initrd are
loaded the monitor goes in powersave mode and after 10-15 seconds the
machine reboot.

lspci -nn:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0412] (rev 06)

I have compiled and booted the kernel from the drm-intel git repo
but that one too only boots with nomodeset.

What can I try next?
What other informations do you need?

Giacomo