[Intel-gfx] IEGD to xf86-video-intel

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Thu Jan 16 10:03:43 CET 2014

Hi DragoČ™ -

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, DragoČ™ Carp <dragoscarp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to update an old linux board Advantech PCM-9361 (Intel Atom
> N270+ 945GSE+ ICH7M) Linux 2.6.32 + IEGD to the newest opensuse 13.1: Linux
> 3.11.6 + xf86-video-intel 2.99.906.
>
> The IEGD driver has some settings (Port Attributes) that cannot be set in
> xf86-video-intel.
> Is it possible to set them with the intel_reg_write utility?

You could try it for some hacking and testing, perhaps, but not
recommended for normal use.

> Are there any reference documents describing the IEGD Port attributes?

Generally speaking, we don't know about the IEGD driver on this
list. Check wherever you got that driver from, or see [1] for generic
hardware documentation.

> Below is the xorg.conf with the iegd settings. The interesting lines are
> "Attr/26" "18" for ports 2 and 4: the TFT panels are 18bbp color depth (the
> panels don't provide any EDID info).
> With the new configuration the colors on LVDS2 panel are wrong (probably
> set to 24bbp) and LVDS1 panel is black although xrandr shows it as active.

Must be a special board to have multiple LVDS panels; I'm not even sure
we support that in the i915 driver.

For at least getting one to work, you could fabricate an EDID, make sure
your kernel has CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE=y, and set
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=<connector>:<file> module parameter. See
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for details on the parameter.

Oh, also please enable drm.debug=0xe module parameter, and attach the
dmesg all the way from early boot. That will give us more details about
your hardware, and maybe some ideas what to try.

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/