[Intel-gfx] Intel Linux Graphic Installer doesn't work on ubuntu 14.04

Vivek Dasmohapatra vivek at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 23:45:08 CEST 2014

> I'm pretty sure that it can be done because it is already worked on
> the fedora 20. Infact I have already installed the graphic installer
> and I have activated two monitors simultaneously. Now I would like to
> do the same on Ubuntu 14.04. Actually I get the errors that you see on
> the screenshots attached.

Hi there - the current installer doesn't actually update the i915
module - 14.04 came out with most components already at or later
than the planned quarterly Intel release, except for vaapi video
playback acceleration.

I should note here that the i915 driver we ship isn't proprietary:
It's the mainline kernel i915 driver - the installer is just a way
for use to get it to distro users a little ahead of [distro] schedule.

The next release, due out soon, will have an updated i915 driver in it
for 14.04.

But let's get back to your problems:

When the installer starts, it should ask you for your password: It
does this so it can get the permissions it needs from policykit
to add apt sources to your system and upgrade packages.

So, a couple of questions:

a - Did the installer ask you for your password?
b - If it did, are the permissions on /etc/apt/sources.list.d
     reasonable? Or is there some reason you would not be able
     to edit them even with sudo [for example]?