[Intel-gfx] Pointers on debugging my machine not booting: i915 GPU lockup

Bruno Prémont bonbons at linux-vserver.org
Thu Jun 5 08:08:05 CEST 2014

Hey Gideon,

[CCing intel-gfx mailing list]

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 20:22:13 +0530 Gideon D'souza wrote:
> Thank you so much for your reply.
>
> I did manage to move a bit forward with my issue since my email here.
> When the system kinda stuck, I realized I could press Ctrl + Alt + F2
> and I had access to the system via a virtual terminal. I could connect
> to the internet and everything so it seems like the window manager is
> dead somehow, I wish I new how. It's such a beautifully customized
> system I don't want to lose it. (And I barely have time to get it up)

It seems to be just a bug somewhere in the 3D driver stack, not a
hardware issue.

If you can disable 3D and/or compositing effects you might get to your
desktop environment.

> >What kind of box is it?
> Dell Laptop, x86_64 AMD.
>
> >If you can hook up a serial console to your box that would maybe help,
> >at least getting access to what has been shown prior to screen going blank.
> I've never fully understood what this means? Does this mean that if I
> set up the right baud rate I can then get a log/output of some sort on
> a serial cable somewhere?
> (1) I don't have a serial out on my laptop. I only have hdmi, lan and usb
> (2) If I did have a serial out, then what would I do next? Hook up a
> serial cable, connect it to another computer and then what? What would
> I install on the other end to read the input?

If you had a serial port on the laptop you could connect a second
computer to it with a null-modem cable (if needed via USB->Serial
converter) and see what output kernel generates using e.g. minicom.
Hooking up a USB->Serial converter on your laptop to get serial port
would probably not work.

> This is what the log looks like just before it hangs up:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyz1sbllyqhuz10/Photo%2031-05-14%2012%2056%2038%20am.jpg
>
> I've put up much more detail here:
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/47850/fedora-is-busted-and-hangs-on-boot/
>
> But no real answers yet.

Looking at your report on fedoraproject you seem to have:
- Intel GPU (which one?)
- System is booting fine, GPU is just locking up when X starts
  (what are versions of X drivers and mesa?)

Make sure to collect the error state (after GPU locked up/screen went
black, but before rebooting) as reported in your journald log
cat /sys/class/drm/card0/error | gzip -9 > /tmp/i915-error-state.gz
and attach the resulting file /tmp/i915-error-state.gz to a bug report
on https://bugs.freedesktop.org.

Also follow the guidelines listed at
  https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/how-report-bugs
when you report the bug so all important information is included.

If you can do so from console, check for possible MESA or
xf86-video-intel updates. If there are none (that help), manually
compiling more recent releases or -git versions of xf86-video-intel, libdrm
and mesa might get asked.

Bruno