[Intel-gfx] Bug reports on 830MG patches (thanks, but more trouble)

Thomas Richter richter at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jun 6 19:24:02 CEST 2014

Hi Ville, hi others,

>> As Ville already said, resume from "suspend-to-ram" is broken. No
>> surprise, old broken bios. However, there is a big difference between
>> the kernel with the pipe-A quirk disabled, and the one with pipe-a and
>> pipe-b quirks enabled: If resumed without the quirk, the display is
>> dead, but you can at least re-initiate it with vbetool post, then
>> restart the X server. So at least, the kernel is working.
>>
>> With the pipe A quirk enabled, something dies immediately when
>> attempting to resume from suspend. The machine is completely
>> unresponsive, also not reachable over the network. The kernel dies away.
>
> For me resume gets stuck even w/o i915. So something is different
> clearly between our machines. Might be some driver, or might the BIOS.
> Do you have the latest BIOS on that thing?

Yup, I flashed the bios last week with version 1.07, the latest I could
find on the Fujitsu pages. It was 1.06 before, though I did not observe
any difference between 1.06 and 1.07 with respect to the broken resume
operation.

There is a difference between "freeze" and "freeze". Yes, w/o the pipe-A
quirk, the screen goes black, but you can reach it over the network, and
you can even type into the console and submit the video restart from
there. So, it's not frozen, only the display is "off", though it looks
the same for the untrained eye.

Maybe the bios configuration between yours and mine is different?

>> This is *probably* related to the dying kernel when booting with vga=792
>> (or vga=791 or vga=790, all cause the same problem, no working machine.)
>
> I must admit I didn't try the vga= options. I'll give them a go and see
> what happens.

Please do. I have narrowed it down to the case where text mode vs.
graphics mode makes a difference. That is, a frame buffer console alone
is sufficient for the machine to get stuck when loading i915.

>> ----
>>
>> Thanks for the patch and for all the work, unfortunately it does not
>> quite work as presented. I applied the patch correctly to
>> drm-intel-nightly, and it compiles fine.
>
> You applied all 15 patches, right?

Exactly, all 15 of them.

>> However, the following issues exist:
>>
>> *) If you boot with the kernel parameter vga=792 (i.e. the same console
>> resolutions as initiated by KMS) the system just hangs with a black
>> screen. Booting aborts, nothing happens.
>>
>> *) Watermark settings are *still* not correct. *SIGH*, *sigh*
>>
>> intel_reg_read 0x20d8
>> 0x20D8 : 0x11F0104
>
> I did warn you. If you'd just taken my branch you would have gotten the
> hack to avoid that.

Ok, I'll try tonite to clone from your repository instead of
intel-drm-nightly and report back. But if you have a patch concerning
the watermark that works and is *accepted* into intel-drm-next, I would
be thankful indeed. This is really annoying...

(It's not that it is hard to work around the watermark issue....)

So long,
	Thomas