[Intel-gfx] WARN_ON() and X session lost from i915 on 3.14-rc6

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 10:05:49 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:40:02AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2014-03-12 23:52:09, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:30:39AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > This cost me two half-written mails...
> > >
> > > So far it happened once, so it may be very infrequent; but I do not
> > > think I seen similar failure from i915 before, so it may be an
> > > regression. Well...
> >
> > It's a userspace use-after-free bug. Please file a bug on
> > bugs.freedesktop.org.
>
> Could we get some better messages from the kernel? Userspace should
> not be able to produce WARN_ON()s.

Indeed, we have already pruned those errors and WARNs, in favour of a
real error code, precisely because they are user triggerable.

> (This is debian 6.0.8; do you think it is worth reporting? I don't
> think I should go to bugs.freedesktop.org...)

I guess your userspace is roughly xf86-video-intel-2.17 and friends.
Quite a few changes since then, but I've forgotten if this bug was ever
addressed explicitly. Most likely it has been...