[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Scratch page optimization for blanking buffer

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed May 7 12:54:44 CEST 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
>> Yes no real backing storage is needed, but still the object should be
>> allowed to get mapped into the GGTT, using the scratch page (already
>> zeroed out).
>>
>> Is there a patch for a new drm/i915 ioctl similar to fallocate, which
>> could be used here?
>
> Geez, you guys shouldn't just dump patches onto intel-gfx but read a bit
> what other people are doing. Especially when they work for the same team
> ;-)
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.drivers.intel/36351

Oops, I've mixed up names and you're not actually on the same team.
Sorry about that.

Still when you do upstream development please try to follow a bit
what's happening in general so that we can maximally exploit
opportunities for collaboration. That's why we have such a big
emphasis on open discussion fora like mailing lists or irc channel. So
I very much want people to jump into discussions of patches from other
groups (or even outside from Intel) if they see some overlap (or other
possible benefits like sharing learned lessons) with their own work.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch