[Intel-gfx] Breaking suspend/resume by the Pipe A quirk

Thomas Richter richter at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu May 29 23:19:47 CEST 2014

Hi Daniel, hi folks,

according to my knowledge, the pipe A quirk is unconditionally enabled
on the 830 to allow resume to work properly. Unfortunately, it does
quite the opposite on the S6010, it breaks resume completely.

If the pipe A quirk is disabled, then the boot console works correctly.
Resume does not, the display is dead, but it is possible to remotely
connect to the machine, from there POST the video card (via vbetool
post), stop X, then restart X, then the display is back.

If the pipe A quirk is enabled, then try to resume from suspend, then
the machine is dead completely. You can ping it, but not log in. I
currently have not yet tried to figure out where it hangs, but I would
suspect the problem is somewhere in the i915 kernel module. The display
just stays black.

Thus, in addition to the watermark fix I proposed, please *disable* the
unconditional pipe A quirk for the 830GM since it really breaks things,
not only the boot console.

Greetings,
	Thomas