[Intel-gfx] Fast User Switching does not seem to work

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 9 03:11:13 CEST 2014

constantine composed on 2014-10-09 00:38 (UTC):

> I am encountering a peculiar problem with Fast User Switching or Kernel
> Mode Setting and I do not know how to troubleshoot it.

> When I run two (or more) Virtual Terminals switching between them
> (Ctrl+Alt+F2-3, etc.) takes 2+ seconds. (That is either simply initiated
> with startx from tty2 and tty3 or as different displays with KDisplay
> Manager (kdm) in :0 and :1)

> I am using an intel graphics driver so I suppose KMS should be enabled by
> default and this seems to be the case, but there still are delays swithing
>  VTs.

> I have followed the instructions at
> http://carlosbecker.com/posts/how-to-enable-kms-on-i915-graphiccard-archlinux/
>  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_mode_setting
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics but I am still
> experiencing the problem.

> Last, I am certain it is not a hardware related issue, because I can fast
> switch in ubuntu, but not in Arch linux.

> Any ideas?

Does your Arch use systemd?
Is your *buntu not using systemd?

Distros using systemd typically configure ttys to be on demand. Others do
not. I find when I do not reconfigure my systemd installations to start
logins on ttys at boot, delays getting to them are normal, and annoying.

IOW, I don't think your annoyance has anything to do with KMS or video driver.

I do the reconfiguration on systemd installations via script, which may need
to be adjusted according to whether /lib or /usr/lib is applicable to your
installation:
 cp -a /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at tty1.service
 sed -i 's/TTYVTDisallocate=yes/TTYVTDisallocate=no/'
/usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at tty1.service
 ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service
 systemctl start getty at tty1.service
 ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty2.service
 systemctl start getty at tty2.service
 ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty3.service
 systemctl start getty at tty3.service
 ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty4.service
 systemctl start getty at tty4.service
 ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty5.service
 systemctl start getty at tty5.service
 ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty6.service
 systemctl start getty at tty6.service

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/