[Intel-gfx] turn off lowmemorykiller when running IGT on Android?

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Sep 18 20:57:15 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Gore, Tim <tim.gore at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi All.
>    After some pain trying to resolve an IGT test getting killed by the Android
> Lowmemorykiller,  it seems to me that in the context of the IGT tests we
> just don't need (or want) the android low memory killer. The Linux memory
> management and oom functions are perfectly adequate.
> Rob Becket kindly pointed me to a module parameter I can adjust to effectively
> stop the low memory killer from killing anything and I would like to suggest
> that we use this with all IGT tests when run on Android.
>
>    echo "9999" >  /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj
>
> This is easily done from the console but I think we should put it in igt_core.c
> So that it does not get forgotten, perhaps by adding it to the
> omm_adjust_for_doom function (within #ifdef ANDROID of course).
> What do people think?

Adding this to igt_core with a cleanup handler sounds like a plan. And
really, the android lowmemkiller is just broken for aiming at
processes owned by root, but apparently we can't fix that.

But please add this _without_ and #ifdef ANDROID since there are linux
distros out there (*cough* ubuntu *cough*) which for incomprehensible
reasons add everything under CONFIG_ANDROID ...
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch