[Intel-gfx] i915 and 1440p display w/ corrupt EDID

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 26 09:25:08 CEST 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Mathias Burén <mathias.buren at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've a 1440p display with a non-sufficient/corrupt EDID.

Just to double check, you mean the display really is broken in this
regard, *not* that the driver is unable to read the EDID?

Does your monitor have other connections than HDMI? Can you try to see
if they produce a valid EDID? It may be possible to use that EDID for
HDMI using the EDID firmware mechanism.

> When I connect the display to the laptop via the docking station, the
> laptop detects that there is a display connected, but there are no
> modes available. I can add a mode like this:

Have you tried without the dock to reduce the number of failure points?

> xrandr --newmode "2560x1440_60.0" 311.83 2560 2744 3024 3488 1440 1441
> 1444 1490 -HSync +Vsync
> xrandr --addmode HDMI3 2560x1440_60.0
>
> But I get an error when trying to use it: "xrandr: Configure crtc 1 failed".
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to get the monitor working?

Finally, dmesg with drm.debug=14 from boot to the problem, including the
above attempt with xrandr, might prove useful.

BR,
Jani.