[Intel-gfx] GMA 4500M[HD] video decode viability

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 4 06:37:54 PST 2015

I have an opportunity to pick up a system that has an Intel Atom N280
(1.66 GHz) with an Intel GL40 chipset in it.  The seller has listed
that GPU in that as being a GMA 4500M but I have also seen reference to
that particular system having a GMA 4500MHD.

I'm considering this system for an HTPC so GPU video
processing/decoding is the most important factor.

I already run a couple of similar Atom/Nvidia ION based systems and am
extremely happy with them in terms of being able to play even HD
1080[ip] content very smoothly with VDPAU.  I'm wondering how this GMA
4500M[HD] system will compare.  It'd probably need need VAAPI but I'm
not sure if this GPU has any VAAPI support.

Is the GMA 4500M (or MHD) up to the task I am looking at it for or
should I just not even bothering looking at it any further, regardless
of whether it's an M or an MHD?

Cheers,
b.