[Intel-gfx] [BUG, bisect] drm/i915: mouse pointer lags and overshoots

Matt Roper matthew.d.roper at intel.com
Mon Jan 19 08:40:24 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:04:04AM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:51:43AM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > There's also an issue in (most) X drivers which exaberates this
> > issues: When changing the cursor buffer the X cursor code does a a)
> > disable cursor b) update cursor image c) enable cursor cycle.
>
> Notably not -intel on which the bug has been observed. And more
> importantly, the slow downs don't seem to correlate with cursor change,
> just cursor movement.
> -Chris
>
> --
> Chris Wilson, Intel Open Source Technology Centre

It seems that the simple fix for this case (movement only) is to just
skip the prepare_fb/cleanup_fb calls (and the associated vblank wait) in
the transitional plane helper when newfb == oldfb.  I just posted a
small patch that makes that change (and solves the cursor lag for me).

This won't solve the case if userspace uses a different framebuffer for
each update (while trying to update faster than the refresh rate).  Is
there any existing userspace that behaves this way that we can test
with?

Matt

--
Matt Roper