[Intel-gfx] DC6 already programmed to be disabled

Damien Lespiau damien.lespiau at intel.com
Mon May 18 03:44:15 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:38:03AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:22:27PM +0000, Konduru, Chandra wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have been seeing below warning on skylake system on which dmc fw isn't placed.
> > Is below warning expected? If so what is it conveying?
>
> Seems to be another fallout from the current design of how we prevent
> dc5/6 when the firmware is not (yet) loaded. I've detailed how this should
> be fixed. We need to prevent the rpm code from ever trying to shut down
> that specific power well instead of just not obeying the request. Not
> obeying the request means the rpm code is out of sync with reality,
> leading to WARN_ON fun like the one you've hit here.

Hey all,

Would anyone of you (Sunil, Animesh, Suketu) have time to fix this? (the
warning when DMC firmware isn't there). We should be able to work when
failing to load the DMC firmware.

What Daniel says is not quite accurate, bear in mind we still can shut
down all power wells and do PC10 with screens off when the DMC isn't
loaded. We could also decide to disable run-time PM entirely when the
DMC firmware isn't there. That's something that can be fixed later on
though, right now the most immediate issue is not to dump lots of
warnings when failing to load the firmware.

By default I'll fix it, I have this on my TODO list, it's quite low
though.

Thanks,

--
Damien