[Intel-gfx] still experiencing oops connecting Laptop to docking Station

Nicolas Kalkhof nkalkhof at web.de
Thu May 21 03:32:18 PDT 2015

> This only contains the pile of WARNINGs and not the Oops itself. I guess
> we still need a picture (and you need to change the system console logging
> to make sure the debug stuff shows up to). At least at the bottom of your
> past there's from drm or i915, indicating that the crucial debug info
> didn't make it out before the machine died.

Ok, I've set CONFIG_MESSAGE_LOGLEVEL_DEFAULT=7 to squeeze some more debug info out of the kernel. For the OOPS I still have to take a picture since kdump seems to be broken for me.

http://pastebin.com/9mxRgNa2

> I just want the decoded address (which I read from the oops, if you
> recompile the kernel it might have changed so please double check). I.e.
> the above two lines is all the howto you need. But please use "list"
> instead of "break" as Chris suggested.

Gotcha!

gdb) list *drm_atomic_helper_check_modeset+0x2c5
0x955 is in drm_atomic_helper_check_modeset (drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_helper.c:235).
230             }
231
232             connector_state->best_encoder = new_encoder;
233             idx = drm_crtc_index(connector_state->crtc);
234
235             crtc_state = state->crtc_states[idx];
236             crtc_state->mode_changed = true;
237
238             DRM_DEBUG_ATOMIC("[CONNECTOR:%d:%s] using [ENCODER:%d:%s] on [CRTC:%d]\n",
239                              connector->base.id,
(gdb)

Address drm_atomic_helper_check_modeset+0x2c5/0x990 is the first line in the call trace.
One more thing: When I fire up X BEFORE I connect to the docking there are no OOPSES and I can switch between DP/eDP. As soon as I kill X however my machine dies.

HTH.

Regards
Nic