[Intel-gfx] NUC5i7RYH compatibly

Annon Pong annonm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:34:55 PDT 2015

Hi all, I recently purchased one of these NUCs to use as a general purpose
server and stream some Steam games to my living room and need some help
getting setup. I heard Ubuntu was what they developed Steam for Linux on,
so I started by installing Ubuntu 15.04 and then tried the Intel Graphics
Installer for Linux 1.2.0, but the Intel Graphics Installer failed saying
that "you don't seem to have an Intel i915 Chipset"

I guess I have a couple questions:
- What does this error mean? The list of supported hardware for the 2015Q3
Intel Graphics Stack includes "5th Generation Intel® Core™ processors with
Intel® HD Graphics" however officially I have "Iris 6100 Graphics". I
assumed the HD/Iris thing to be mostly marketing, but is this a
comparability issue?
- If so, is it likely the next release of support for the Intel Graphics
Stack will work with my setup?
- Do I even need to manually install the Intel Graphics drivers, or do they
come preinstalled on Ubuntu? I wasn't sure how to check.

Steam streaming works, as does video playback, but it does not seem like
it's taking advantage of the Intel Graphics. Video playback fully taxes the
CPU and creates artifacts like screen tearing.