[Intel-gfx] Temporary freezes

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 8 05:32:28 PDT 2015

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015, Daniel Kasak <d.j.kasak.dk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I've got an Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 5200 ( in a Macbook ),
> and I'm running a 4.1.5-rt5 kernel, libdrm-2.4.64 and mesa-11.0.0_rc1. I
> use Enlightenment ( from git ), and on this particular system only, I get a
> couple of graphics-only freezes per day. When it happens, the mouse pointer
> still tracks my mouse movements, but the rest of the display freezes.
> Nothing else appears to freeze - eg music continues to play. Also, the
> freezes occur in *pairs* ... ie freeze ... unfreeze ... freeze ... unfreeze.
>
> Other than this, performance is excellent. There is nothing in 'dmesg'
> output or X log that stands out, other than the message on bootup:
>
> [drm] GMBUS [i915 gmbus vga] timed out, falling back to bit banging on pin 2

Unrelated.

> The problem has spanned multiple kernels and mesa versions.
>
> Any ideas?

Try a non-rt vanilla kernel.

> http://tesla.duckdns.org/downloads/dmesg.txt

You don't need i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 on your hardware running
that kernel.

Has that dmesg been captured after you've been experiencing the problem
on that boot?

Please file a bug at [1] if the problem persists. Add drm.debug=14
module parameter, attach dmesg to the bug.

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DRI&component=DRM/Intel