[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Render decompression support for Gen9 and above

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Sep 10 08:02:34 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 10:04:23AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> [Adding Rob & Thierry]
>
> On 09/09/2015 09:36 AM, Smith, Gary K wrote:
> > I don't understand why this is an issue. Surely the fb is to describe
> > static state about the buffer, not dynamic state. The fb should be
> > created with the compressed modifier. The compressed property is just
> > a hint to the kernel that the buffer has been completely resolved,
> > hence currently it can be treated as an uncompressed fb (and the aux
> > buffer can be ignored). This is dynamic state that may well change
> > very regularly over the lifetime of the buffer.

There's fb modifier at all in this patch set, not just a static modifier
to be able to check the compression data fits plus a "ignore compression"
runtime knob.

> > It's still a compressed fb, it contains a aux buffer and had to be
> > created with the compressed fb modifier. However, once the userspace
> > has fully resolved the buffer, the aux buffer can be ignored and the
> > compressed fb can be used in any situation where an uncompressed fb
> > would normally be required. This is dynamic state that may well change
> > very regularly over the lifetime of the buffer.
> >
> > I could allocate two fbs always, and use the appropriate one. We
> > already do this in order to indicate whether a RGBA buffer currently
> > needs to be considered as opaque (RGBX) or blended. Experience has
> > shown that it makes it very complex to debug when the fb keeps on
> > changing its value. However, because we now have 4 different states
> > (Blended/Opaque and Compressed or Resolved), we will now end up with
> > up to 4 fbs per buffer.
> >
> > We aren't just talking about a few fbs here, we already see more than
> > 100 fbs active during complex situations. Potentially doubling this
> > number is surely a significant increase in memory usage, both from the
> > management side in userspace and the kernel side.

8kb kernel memory for the additional 2 copies of drm_framebuffer structs
for 100 buffers. That's about as much as the minimal overhead for just 1
underlying gem object (counting the sg table, vma, gtt pte tracking, gem
object and shmem backing node and pagecache entries). 2 integers in userspace.

Do you have some data to show that overhead?
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch