[Intel-gfx] i915: framebuffer compression causing occasional screen flickering

Petr Kulhavy brain at jikos.cz
Thu Sep 17 15:03:32 PDT 2015

Hi,

I would like to post a bug report for the Intel i915 driver, not sure if
this is the right place to do it.

The framebuffer compression feature is sometimes causing screen
flickering on my Asus UX501 laptop (i7-4720HQ with the HD4600 graphics).
Konsole out
I'm trying to reduce my battery usage and the kernel parameter
"i915.enable_fbc=1" saves about 2W actually!

I'm running Kubuntu 15.04 with mainstream kernel 4.1.0 and the latest
Intel drivers from 01.org version 1.2.0.
However I was experiencing the same problem also with previous versions.

The flickering itself is as follows. In most cases the picture (X with
KDE desktop) is OK. However with certain image patterns the screen
starts to flicker multiple times per second, sometimes it affects only
part of the screen, and it looks like the picture switching fast between
normal and a bit scrambled. The screen is still readable.

An example of an image pattern triggering the flickering  Firefox with
youtube at the end of the video when you see the tiles with other
similar videos to watch. If I navigate to a different page the
flickering disappears. It is really picture dependent.

Not sure what it exactly is but with the enable_fbc=0 the problem
reliably disappears. So I believe it is related to the framebuffer
compression.

It would be really great if you could make the FBC working well also on
this HW. It saves a lot of battery.

Please let me know if you need some more information.

Thanks a lot
Petr