[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/6] Non perf based Gen Graphics OA unit driver

Zhenyu Wang zhenyuw at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 29 20:23:19 PDT 2015

On 2015.09.29 15:39:03 +0100, Robert Bragg wrote:

> - Logistically it might be more practical to contain this to the
>   graphics stack.
>
>     It seems fair to consider that if we can't see a very compelling
>     benefit to building on perf, then containing this work to
>     drivers/gpu/drm/i915 may simplify the review process as well as
>     future maintenance and development.

I think even we all initially like to go with perf but it appears later
that we might need to stick this more close with i915 driver. Also think
about to enable global profiling for all graphics clients, extending or
enabling it within i915 specific interface seems more feasible instead of
trying to create another PMU driver like previous implementation attempt
to suit the need for different gfx perf data definition.

Robert, thanks for send and elaborate on this.

--
Open Source Technology Center, Intel ltd.

$gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4D781827