[Intel-gfx] [RFC 1/4] drm/i915: Move releasing of the GEM request from free to retire/cancel

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 15:01:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 02:54:55PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
> From: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
>
> If we move the release of the GEM request (i.e. decoupling it from the
> various lists used for client and context tracking) after it is complete
> (either by the GPU retiring the request, or by the caller cancelling the
> request), we can remove the requirement that the final unreference of
> the GEM request need to be under the struct_mutex.
>
> v2: Execlists as always is badly asymetric and year old patches still
> haven't landed to fix it up.
>
> v3: Extracted, rebased and fixed for GuC. (Tvrtko Ursulin)

After you mentioned the unbalanced, the patches I reordered to fix that
are:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/linux-2.6/commit/?h=tasklet&id=83dcde26caa26f4113c3e441c3c96c504fd88e13
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/linux-2.6/commit/?h=tasklet&id=9f386a21d3f28db763102b5c4f97a90bd0dcfd08
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/linux-2.6/commit/?h=tasklet&id=9afd878e2c9f7825b99dc839c7b5deb553b62e32