[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/4] Introduce drmfs pseudo filesystem for drm subsystem

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Tue Dec 20 01:15:49 UTC 2016

Hi Swati,

On Monday 19 Dec 2016 16:12:22 swati.dhingra at intel.com wrote:
> From: Swati Dhingra <swati.dhingra at intel.com>
>
> Currently, we don't have a stable ABI which can be used for the purpose of
> providing output debug/loggging/crc and other such data from DRM.
> The ABI in current use (filesystems, ioctls, et al.) have their own
> constraints and are intended to output a particular type of data.
> Few cases in point:
> sysfs	- stable ABI, but constrained to one textual value per file
> debugfs	- unstable ABI, free-for-all
> ioctls	- not as suitable to many single purpose continuous data
> 	  dumping, we would very quickly run out ioctl space; requires more
> 	  userspace support than "cat"
> device nodes -  a real possibilty, kernel instantiation is more tricky,
> 		requires udev (+udev.rules) or userspace discovery of the
> 		dynamic major:minor (via sysfs) [mounting a registered
> 		filesystem is easy in comparison]
> netlink	- stream based, therefore involves numerous copies.
>
> Debugfs is the lesser among the evils here, thereby we have grown used to
> the convenience and flexibility in presentation that debugfs gives us
> (including relayfs inodes) that we want some of that hierachy in stable user
> ABI form.

Seriously, why ? A subsystem growing its own file system sounds so wrong. It
seems that you want to have all the benefits of a stable ABI without going
through the standardization effort that this requires. I can see so many ways
that drmfs could be abused, with drivers throwing in new data with little or
no review. You'll need very compelling arguments to convince me.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart