[Intel-gfx] [RFC 00/22] Add support for GuC-based SLPC

Martin Peres martin.peres at linux.intel.com
Tue Feb 9 11:56:54 UTC 2016

On 21/01/16 04:26, tom.orourke at intel.com wrote:
> From: Tom O'Rourke <Tom.O'Rourke at intel.com>
>
> SLPC (Single Loop Power Controller) is a replacement for
> some host-based power management features.  The SLPC
> implemenation runs in firmware on GuC.
>
> This series is a first request for comments.  This series
> is not expected to be merged.  After changes based on
> comments, a later patch series will be sent for merging.
>
> This series has been tested with SKL guc firmware
> versions 4.3 and 4.7.  The graphics power management
> features in SLPC in those versions are DFPS (Dynamic FPS),
> Turbo, and DCC (Duty Cycle Control).  DFPS adjusts
> requested graphics frequency to maintain target framerate.
> Turbo adjusts requested graphics frequency to maintain
> target GT busyness.  DCC adjusts requested graphics
> frequency and stalls guc-scheduler to maintain actual
> graphics frequency in efficient range.

Can we have a benchmark/CI mode that has turbo and reclocking disabled?
The frequency would be set to whatever frequency the kernel requests and
the GuC would report how many throttling events happened so as our
benchmarking system could automatically lower the frequency to provide
stable results.

We have benchmarks who really need such a mode!