[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.99.917

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Jan 26 10:03:35 PST 2016

Am Wed, 6 May 2015 22:02:57 +0200
schrieb Julien Cristau <jcristau at debian.org>:

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 14:47:58 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
> > Snapshot 2.99.917 (2014-12-21)
> > ==============================
> > 3 months drifted by whilst I looked elsewhere for bugs.. The
> > highlight of bugs fixed here are a couple of workarounds required
> > for Broadwell and making sure that the rasterisation code is
> > symmetric under inversions. However, as a couple of crashers
> > slipped through into 2.99.916 (though not actual regressions in
> > 2.99.916 per se) and 3 months have passed, we should make one more
> > snapshot before an imminent release.
> How imminent is imminent?  This driver hasn't had a proper release in
> over a year and a half, this is getting ridiculous...
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

What happened to the "release early/release often" rule? It has pushed
OSS much faster forward than it now goes.

Distributions are forced to randomly pick some git snapshot. Often it's
not too much stuff broken. No stable release or branch we can rely on.

Is Intel not able to maintain its own device driver in a usable way?

Andy
Arch Linux