[Intel-gfx] Reduce usage of the name 'ring' for engines et al

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 17:25:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 06:16:04PM +0100, Dave Gordon wrote:
> Chris Wilson is trying to convert 'ringbuffer' to 'ring', but at present
> there's rather too much legacy code using 'ring' for various other things,
> usually engines or engine-ids. This patchset converts some of them (but
> not as yet the gpu_error or trace code).

For trace, I think we want to be a little more relaxed, just so we avoid
user visible changes without a strong justification.

> Chris: what is your prefered name for a local holding an engine id?
> 'engine_id' is obvious, but seems overly long and clunky. Anything better?

I was going along the lines of int idx = req->engine->id. Of course,
that is only clear in simple cases. In more complex stacks, engine_id
wins - but those are fortunately rare.
-chris