[Intel-gfx] Still trying to isolate video freezes

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 02:31:22 UTC 2016

Chris composed on 2016-06-05 16:42 (UTC-0500):

> In an effort to try and figure out why the video on my Dell Optiplex 780
> keeps freezing I've been advised to run the latest kernel to see if it
> may fix the problem. Today I installed 4.6.0-997.201605222202_amd64.deb
> and when booting it would not finish at all. There were some statements
> about not loading root and also about not finding a drive....

Is yours a SFF model 780? Overheating can cause freezing, and small case
Dells, like other compact case PCs, are particularly susceptible to
overheating if allowed to accumulated dust and/or tobacco tar, particularly
on CPU cooler and/or within PS. Dust collected on tar acts as an insulator,
containing heat within the source components. If you're sure overheating is
not your problem, run memtest86 overnight or longer. You might have failing
RAM. It happens. Sometimes simply reseating RAM will help if testing produces
errors, but don't count on it.

I can't recall my SFF 780 ever doing as yours with any Linux kernel all the
way back to 3.11.7 and up through 4.5.4, and servers 1.14.x through 1.18.3.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/