[Intel-gfx] [CI 06/20] drm/i915: Slaughter the thundering i915_wait_request herd

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 6 11:04:35 UTC 2016

On 06/06/16 11:14, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 09:53:40AM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

>>> i915_seqno_passed() returnts true if seqnoA == seqnoB
>>
>> I meant in the first branch, multiple waiter on the same seqno?
>
> It could be applied there as well. It is just a bit hairer to keep the
> rbtree and call semantics intact. Hmm, for ourselves it is probably
> better to early return and late the pending wakeup handle the rbtree.

Did not understand this, especially the last sentence. But thats fine, I
forgot what I meant there anyway after two weeks. :)

>>> We only want to call try_to_wake_up() on processes at least as important
>>> as us.
>>
>> But what is the comment saying about having to wake up the following
>> waiter, because of multiple seqnos potentially completing? It says
>> that and then it may not wake up anyone depending on relative
>> priorities.
>
> It does, it always wakes the next bottom half.

>>> Next seqno can have a smaller priority (and be complete). chain_wakeup()
>>> just asks if the next waiter is as important as ourselves (the next
>>> waiter may be for a different seqno).

>>> Correct. They will be handled by the next waiter in the qeueue, not us.
>>> Our job is to wake as many completed (+ the potentially completed bh) as
>>> possible without incurring undue delay for ourselves. All completed waiters
>>> will be woken in turn as the next bh to run will look at the list and
>>> wake up those at the the same priority as itself (+ the next potentially
>>> completed bh).
>>
>> Who will wake up the next waiter? add_waiter will wake up one, and
>> then the next waiter here (in remove_waiter) may not wake up any
>> further based on priority.
>
> We do. We wake up all waiters that are complete at the same priority or
> better than us, plus the next waiter to take over as the bottom half.

Oh right, the if (next) branch.

>> Is the assumption that it is only possible to miss one interrupt?

>>> Because we only need RCU access to task, which is provided by the hard
>>> irq context.
>>
>> What does the comment mean by saying callers are responsible for the
>> RCU period? From which point to which? I still can't tie whatever
>> callers might be doing with the unrelated hardirq.
>
> Ensuring that the preempt count is raised to prevent the RCU grace
> period from expiring between the read of task and the *task, i.e.
> rcu_read_lock() or other means.

Yes I agree it looks fine on second look. It is only reading the
engine->breadcrumbs.tasklet once and that one will remain valid until
the task exists plus a grace period.

Regards,

Tvrtko