[Intel-gfx] Brightness and "touchpad dis-/enable" keys not working for Fujitsu e7x6

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Wed Jun 29 13:59:44 UTC 2016

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Jan-Marek Glogowski <glogow at fbihome.de> wrote:

>>> Yeah.  On one hand I'm utterly amazed.  On the other, I've seen and read
>>> about other really bizarre things which go on in the BIOSes of computers
>>> over the years, so nothing really surprises me anymore. :-)
>>
>> Yes, I am a rookie in this field, so perhaps I simply have not seen
>> enough weirdness yet to just get over something like this.
>>
>>> My understanding based on this latest information is that the patch to the
>>> i915 driver fixes the brightness control on these laptops and that no
>>> changes to fujitsu-laptop are required for this.  Is this correct?
>>
>> This is my understanding as well.
>
> Yup. AFAIK the patchset registers the active output ports of the graphic
> chip within ACPI, and this is checked by the brightness keys EC, so if
> the port of the display is disabled, the keys don't work.

I take it you refer to series at [1]. Sadly, I haven't had the time to
figure out a proper solution to patch 5/5 yet. Maarten, if you have a
moment of inspiration, go for it! ;)

Anyway, someone somewhere thought it's a great idea to filter out
backlight key events at the firmware (possibly AML) level if the flat
panel is not active. It's not a decision in in either i915 or ACPI
driver. In Linux, the obvious thing to have done is to defer all such
policy to userspace. Just provide the mechanism, and the userspace will
figure out what to do with the keypress. Seriously, someone could have
used that information to change the brightness of the *external*
display. But can't have that. </rant>. So in the driver we'll just have
to tell ACPI what outputs are active. That's what the patches are about.

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://mid.gmane.org/cover.1465810007.git.jani.nikula@intel.com