[Intel-gfx] Ask for comments of getting guest framebuffer in igvt-g

Tian, Kevin kevin.tian at intel.com
Tue Mar 8 02:44:39 UTC 2016

Hi, Zhiyuan,

After reading the patchwork link, is my below understanding correct
regarding to the key logic of this new IOCTL?

- It's similar to stolen memory, i.e. the backing storage may not be
directly accessed by the driver (it's other VM's memory) so no
'page struct' is available;

- The sg_dma_address of the backing storage is retrieved directly
from GGTT entries corresponding to the gmadr of guest framebuffer,
(those entries are audited by GVT-g device model before programming
GGTT);

- Then the gem object can be pinned to either GGTT or PPGTT, upon
request from user-level compositor;

- A notification will be sent by GVT-g device model, upon any change
of the guest framebuffer location,  (including change of underlying GGTT
entry), but this notification is not implemented yet in this RFC patch;

- Upon such notification, user-level compositor is expected to destroy
previous gem object and then recreate a new object according to the
new information;

One additional comment here. Since this gem object implies another
reference to the guest memory page, we need a step to call into
GVT-g device model to claim such reference (which will then lead to a
refcnt increment of the guest page through hypervisor specific way).
Today it's optional since our device model claims reference of all
guest memory pages in a batch at boot time, which however might
be optimized in the future to do selective claim so within device model
we need clearly mark out all explicit references.

Thanks
Kevin