[Intel-gfx] [RFCv3 14/15] drm/i915: factor out and expose i915_steal_fence()

Wang, Zhi A zhi.a.wang at intel.com
Fri Mar 11 12:53:50 UTC 2016

OK. I see. Previously the fence registers for host  is partitioned. For example, host i915 will only take 4 fence registers, others are kept by GVT-g resource allocator for vGPUs. Danile and Kevin, they thought we could use i915 fence stealing functionality to prevent this static partition. So my idea is:

a. When GVT create a guest, it will call i915_find_fence_regs for available physical fence registers.
b. Then it will call i915_steal_fence and pin these fence registers for vGPUs.
c. Then unpin them, when a guest is destroyed.

So I expose these two APIs. Do you have any better ideas to share? :)

And thanks for the comments. :)