[Intel-gfx] [RFC 04/15] drm/i915: Add headers for non-HDAudio HDMI interface

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri Mar 11 17:27:13 UTC 2016

Thanks for the review Ville

[snip]

> Kinda hard to see where everything gets used due to the way the patches
> are split up.

Yes, it's far from great...

> At least the hotplug/mode change events are not needed. We only have the
> two points where i915 should inform the audio driver about this stuff,
> and those are the intel_audio_code_enable/disable(). For that we
> already have the .pin_eld_notify() hook.
>
> The interrupt stuff should mostly vanish from i915 with the subdevice
> approach. As in i915 would just call the interrupt handler of the audio
> driver based on the LPE bits in IIR, and the audio driver can then do
> whatever it wants based on its own status register.

Are you saying that the subdevice would provide a read/write interface
for the audio driver to look at display registers, and the i915 driver
would only provide a notification interface (EDID and interrupts) to the
audio driver?
If yes, would there be two component framework links, one between
i915/audio driver and one between subdevice/audio driver.
I am way beyond my comfort zone, bear with me if this is silly.
Thanks.